Algarve Birdwatching in Ria Formosa : Ludo and Quinta do Lago
If you're staying in the Algarve and you like birdwatching, make sure to join this wonderful birdwatching tour through Portugal's stunning Ria Formosa.
Enjoy a 3-hour private birdwatching tour in the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago and discover the best of the Algarve bird life with an expert local guide.
On this private tour we depart from Faro to explore the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago. These two areas are extraordinary places for birdwatching, in fact, some of the best birding spots in the Algarve.
Put on your birding hat and have a great time out discovering one of the best birdwatching spots of the Algarve.
This area is a birdwatchers paradise and your knowledgeable local guide will show you the great diversity of birds and make the most of your time spent in this beautiful protected wetland in the Algarve.
It is made of a mosaic of pine woodlands, saltpans, farmland, marshlands and freshwater ponds. Some of the local specialties are the Little Bittern, the Purple Swamphen, the Red-crested Pochard and exotic Black-headed weaver. These species can be observed in the reedy pool on the edge of freshwater ponds.
Autumn is marked by several migrant passerines, including Melodious and Willow Warblers, Tawny Pipit and Bluethroat. The reed beds are important for several nesting waterbird species and also for large numbers of migrating passerines during both autumn and spring migration.
All over the year, species like Spoonbill, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet and Kentish Plover can be observed. Other breeders include Collared Pratincole, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Yellow Wagtail, Woodchat Shrike and beach-nesting Little Tern.
Winter is quite interesting mostly due to the huge concentrations of waders and ducks that take refuge here. The Caspian Tern, Osprey, Black-shouldered Kite, Marsh Harrier and Booted Eagle are other regular visitors during the coldest period of the year.
Sightings of reasonable numbers of the Greater Flamingo are common all year round and excellent views of the sociable Azure-winged Magpie, the hard to miss Hoopoe and the lovely Sardinian Warbler are some of the other highlights.
Ludo and Quinta do Lago are well worth discovering. Join us on a birdwatching tour in this beautiful site. We promise you a memorable day out filled with birds.
• A minimum of 1 adult per booking is required.
• A maximum of 4 people per booking.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult.
• Not wheelchair accessible.
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
• Safety comes first, please follow the instructions and recommendations of your guide, especially those relating to safety issues.
• The schedules of departures and arrivals, the duration and itineraries of the activities are subject to change without previous notice due to security determined by the weather conditions, tides and/or other circumstances beyond our control.
• All tours are accompanied by experienced guides with a profound knowledge of all bird species in the areas visited.
• The main emphasis of these tours is birdwatching, but whilst on tour, we might have opportunities to observe wildflowers, mammals and other wildlife as well as other aspects of the Algarve’s nature and culture.
• Tours are amended not only to the participants’ interests but also to their level of birding experience from novice to expert.
• Trips may be amended due to weather conditions or the physical condition of the participants should our guides deem this advisable.
• Avoid disturbing birds and wildlife. Please respect the most sensitive periods of the year. During breeding period avoid disturbance of nests, breeding bird colonies and other sites of dependency.
• Respect other birdwatchers and be discreet. Be so kind to avoid disturbance of birds that are being observed.
• Explore nature’s great outdoors. Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
"Fantastic birding! We saw many new species of birds and also learned about the botany of the area. The trip was affordable and well worth it! Highly recommended, we loved it!
3-hour private birdwatching tour
Use of binoculars, telescope and bird identification guides
Live commentary by knowledgeable local guide
• Transfer from meeting point to the starting point of the tour and return
• Hotel pickup and drop-off
• Food and drinks
• Tips (optional)
• All other extras
Monday, Wednesday or Friday at 8:30AM
Min 2 Pax, Max 4 Pax
140.00 € Per Person